Wednesday 19 March 2008

TopDownRaglan WIP

Top Down Raglan1

This is a record of my attempt to make a top-down raglan with the exact fit and neck-line that I want. Therefore it will be subject to random editing and additions until I'm happy with it.

I haven't been able to find a pattern that was exactly what I wanted. The closest I found was this from Sarah but no pattern.

I used Barbara Walker's book "Knitting from the Top", Pamela Costello's "Incredible Custom-fit Raglan Sweater" from Woolworks and modified Stephanie Japel's "Raglan from the top down" and I've arrived at what I hope will be just what I wanted.
My result so far-



What I did:

9 x 50gm balls of Rowan Classic Yarns Luxury Cotton DK Shade #257 - Char
Knit Picks Options 3.75mm(US 5) and Addi Turbo 4mm for the sleeves because by then my gauge had changed.

Gauge (yes, I checked it) 22sts = 4"

Cast on 80 sts.
Join to knit in the round, place marker at centre back for beginning of round and knit about 9 rounds of stocking stitch and on last round place sleeve markers like this:
k15, pm, k1, pm, k8, pm, k1, pm, k30, pm, k1, pm, k8, pm, k1, pm, k15. All the k1 stitches are "seam" stitches.

Now start the raglan increases by increasing before and after each seam stitch.

As the knitting grows you'll be able to try it on and when it meets under your arms you're ready to separate the sleeves. It measured 9"from the "neckband" (measured along a raglan seam) and the front section had increased to 92 stitches.Work the next round and slip the sleeve stitches onto spare yarn when you come to them and continue working in rounds until it's long enough. Then a bit of 2x2 rib and the front and back are done.


Knit sleeves, decreasing every 4th or 5th round - I followed the shape of an existing sweater and I finished with 5 rounds of 2 x 2 rib and then 6 rounds of st st so that it would roll like the neck.


What I've learned from this:

1. I think it needs to be a bit longer.....I can fix this easily enough....And there's a picture with the longer length on the other blog.
2. The neck should be smaller - quite a lot. Although I measured it, in wear it seems to stretch. I've sort of fixed this by working some back stitching at the bottom of the neck roll. This has tightened it up and it fits better.
3. I think the neck line would be improved if I did two rows of rib and then some short-rowing after the neck roll so that the front would curve down like a smile.
4. The raglan length might need to be adjusted.
5. Should I divide the stitches so that less are on the sleeve sections? I don't know yet.

So those are thoughts for the next top....and I want a lighter weight one. I'm swatching with Regia Bamboo. It's a sock yarn but I think it's just what I want.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is great! So nice of your to share yours notes with us.